Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Pioneer Place Residents Share Memories of Christmas Past

Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred,
and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit,
become a child again at Christmas-time. 
~Laura Ingalls Wilder


Recently, a few of the residents at Pioneer Place shared their Christmas memories. We are privileged to post them here as part of our Christmas celebration and a reminder of how important our family is every day of the year but especially at Christmas.




I remember when I was a kid, we lived on a farm in Custer. We really didn't have much of a celebration for Christmas because my parents were very poor. We had hardly any presents and no Christmas tree. But at my Custer school, we had beautiful Christmas programs and I always had a part in them. I like that very much so now I really appreciate everything I have.
        Submitted by Lorraine


When I was about 9 or 10 years old during the Great Depression, I got a doll about 14 or 15 inches tall. The doll had "real" yellow hair, a dress, sox, and little slippers. Best of all, it had eyes that opened and shut and it cried when I rolled it over on its face! It was also very , very cold when Mom gave it to me. I asked why the doll was so cold and she said that Santa Claus had delivered it by airplane. I found out years later that she had stored our presents in the machine shed or granary so we kids wouldn't find them before Christmas! Recalling it now, I realize that Mom probably wanted that doll as much as I did because over the years she sewed clothes for it with scraps of fabric or good parts from worn out clothes. I still have the doll tucked away in a dresser drawer on a little blanket for her bed!
      Submitted by Catherine


When I was about seven years old, my father and mother gave me a doll for Christmas. It was about half as tall as I was and had blond hair, blue eyes, a blue dress with ribbon decoration, black shoes and white stockings. I loved playing with it and still had it when I was grown up. I was planning to give it to my sister's girls. After my mother died, my dad married a lady with eight children. The three youngest were much younger than I and often played with my doll. Somehow the legs of the doll got broken so I decided to give my nieces some movies instead. I was very glad that they liked the movies very much and watched them over and over again.
      Submitted by Audrey



Every year around Christmas time when I was a little girl, our front parlor was closed off and none of us dared to open that door. Through a crack in the door came the smell of oranges and apples and some evenings we cold hear a lot of activity on the other side of the door. On Christmas morning, we would each get a box. My parents had a large family, and in those depression years there was little money for frills, so all we could expect was some candy and nuts, a large orange, maybe a cap and warm mittens, a warm nightie, and one or two toys.

My sister was four years older than I, and on this Christmas I remember, she had a beautiful doll on the very top of her box. When I opened my box, I had all the practical gifts. I tried to hide my disappointment just knowing I could have been a better girl. When I got to the bottom of the box, I also had a pretty doll but this was an experience I've never forgotten.
          Submitted by Rita


One of my fondest memories of Christmas is when I was a young girl living on a farm. One year I got a brand new coat for Christmas. That was really special because I was used to getting mostly hand-me-downs. We always got new pajamas and slippers which we got to wear Christmas night. What I remember most is that whatever we got, was given with much love.
      Submitted by Pat


When my oldest granddaughter was 8 years old, she was being naughty; and I told her if she wasn't good, Santa would not put gifts in her stocking. When Christmas Eve came, she helped my husband wrap gifts and saw what was to be my gift from Santa. On Christmas morning, with a concerned look on her face and a smug smile she was unable to conceal, she asked me if I knew why Santa is mad at me. I said, "Why do you think Santa is mad at me?" She said, "Because I was so excited I couldn't sleep so I came downstairs during the night to check the stockings and everyone had a present but you. I know Papa must have felt sorry for you when he saw you didn't have a present from Santa because I know he put that present in your stocking."
      Submitted by Judy


No comments:

Post a Comment